Couples Therapy / Marriage Counseling
Couples Therapy or Marriage Counseling is a very useful modality of help for couples who are experiencing difficulties such as:
- repetitive arguments;
- feelings of distance or emptiness in the relationship;
- trust issues or physical/emotional affairs;
- pervasive feelings of anger, resentment and/or dissatisfaction;
- or lack of interest in affection or in a physical relationship with one another.
A conscious, healthy relationship is NOT dramatic, abusive, addictive, or an emotional roller-coaster. In a healthy relationship, both partners feel physically and emotionally safe – and therefore want to get close and create an emotionally and physically intimate relationship that is built on an interdependent connection.
For more information about how couples counseling can help you resolve your relationship challenges, please call our main office at (248) 546-0407 or email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org
Click above to listen as Joe Bavonese, PhD Discusses the top Myths that Men Have about Marriage Counseling
In a conscious, healthy relationship it is acknowledged that:
- both partners are equally responsible for what happens in the relationship;
- excellent communication skills are essential;
- feelings need to be discussed instead of withholding them, withdrawing, or projecting them onto a partner in the form of blame or accusations;
- fulfilling intimate adult relationships are based on a realistic understanding of male-female differences and a strong desire to get along, rather than a focus on proving that you are right and the other person is wrong
Click above to listen as Joe Bavonese, PhD Discusses the top four signs of Relationship Breakdown
In our Couples Therapy we combine behavioral approaches to relationship enhancement (such as learning how to listen and communicate, how to set appropriate boundaries, how to argue constructively and fight fairly, how to enhance pleasure and intimacy, and how to turn conflicts into solutions) with a psychodynamic investigation which helps both partners understand how their past experiences may contribute to the types of attractions and conflicts which arise in their adult relationships. In addition to couples therapy sessions, couples are given exercises to practice at home to deepen their understanding and practice of the ideas discussed.
To make an appointment for Couples Therapy, please call our main office at 248 546 0407 or email us at: email@example.com